Garage conversion interior wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the early stages of planning a garage conversion. The existing garage is integral to the house and I propose to split the garage into two sections. The front will retain the existing garage door and will be used for storage as it is now. The rear half will be converted into a useable room. I'm familiar with most of the procedures for the conversion, but I'm not sure what method should be used to construct the dividing wall. Would it need to be single or double skinned using breeze block for the outer skin and timber stud for the interior, or would a single skin of timber stud work be possible, with appropriate insulation?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Due to insulation and strict fire regs I would suggest a solid single block wall with a wooden stud in the inside of the new room crammed with insulation, fire protection, and a thermal barrier (condensation against the cold internal wall will be a major factor)

If you want to be posh and can afford the space, a double skin with kingspan insulation between would be better.

Take into consideration:
1, Floor in an internal garage is always lower than the house floor level (due to any flammable liquids oozing from a vehicle so your new room will need to have suspended well insulated/fire guarded floor, building regs require this - the reason for a brick/block wall.

2, a fire door will need to be placed between the storage room/mini garage only if there is a doorway between the garage and the house being installed.

3, Insulation in the ceilings (including a vapour barrier) will need to be beefed up so you meet the required R values set out in part L1A of the regs.

Good luck!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back