Garage conversion project - Starting with floor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new member here - not too much experience with DIY other than standard decorating, a bit of tiling and building a patio. I have decided to go ahead with a much larger project, and thought this was a good place to bounce my plans off some knowledgeable folk for ideas/suggestions for improvement.

So I have a new build property (built about 6 years ago) with a detached single garage (adjoined to neighbour's garage) and I am planning to put it to better use than it's current role of dumping ground.

I plan to turn half of the garage into a man-cave, with Video game consoles and a small sofa, whilst retaining storage in the other half.

The first hurdle is sorting the floor, which is poorly laid concrete which is incredibly dusty. The surface is flat and smooth, but creates an insane amount of dust, so after reading a lot of reviews and opinions I have ordered some concrete hardener. I was torn between this and a PVA solution, but felt this was a better option as I read the PVA can soften again if it gets any moisture in it.

Once I have applied a couple of coats of this and am happy with it, I want to make it a nicer environment for the man cave, so was thinking carpet tiles, however wanted to insulate somewhat as I will be trying to maintain a decent temperature in winter, so it makes sense to insulate all surfaces. I appreciate insulation under floor tiles may prove problematic, but I saw recommendations for Duralay Timbermate Excel laminate and hardwood underlay. Does anyone have experience with this, I'm concerned it is still likely to cause movement with the carpet tiles?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back