Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use my small outside garage as a home office. I was planning to insulate the walls inside and lay some flooring. I was looking at doing this as a DIY job as it seems quite simple. However I have looked at conversions etc on the internet and the subject of building regulations rears its head. I just want to work in the day, do not intend it to be a seperate living area, I am not cooking, sleeping eating in there etc; just a computer, printer and desks. Do I need building regulations just for this? If so it seems a bit over the top.

Sponsored Links
I want to use my small outside garage as a home office. I was planning to insulate the walls inside and lay some flooring. I was looking at doing this as a DIY job as it seems quite simple. However I have looked at conversions etc on the internet and the subject of building regulations rears its head. I just want to work in the day, do not intend it to be a seperate living area, I am not cooking, sleeping eating in there etc; just a computer, printer and desks. Do I need building regulations just for this? If so it seems a bit over the top.

hi dont know if you started yet. but all i do for a living is garage conversions. Each authority is different.usually regs are only needed if the garage is attached to the house however if the garage is detached you do not. this is subject to the fact that that you do not use the space as living accomodation, i always reccommend insulating to regs standard even though it is exempt . cheers jules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back