Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fairly large garage and I'm thinking of converting either all of it or part of it (the back bit) to a play room/lounge.

Would converting a garage take value off the house?

The garage is roughly 12m x 3.5m

Seen a few quotes from other people online for similar projects and they talked up daft money i.e. £5k upwards. I'm guessing it costs £1k tops for the materials? Would having a room at the back of the garage (no windows) be bad for damp?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm planning something similar but on a smaller scale so I'll keep a keen eye on this thread.

I'm looking at roughly interior dimensions of 6ft x 9ft and would also be windowless but would work in the existing glazed uPVC side door.

A 12m x 3.5m garage is asking to be partially converted!

You could still leave plenty of useable space even if you converted a more than modest amount, considering 6m x 3m is adequate size for a single garage.

If you want to convert the space into habitable dwelling then you need to apply for building regulations. A full spec conversion to regs is unlikely to be completed for less than say £5k.

Obviously a lot will depend upon the orientation of the existing garage. For example, if it is stand alone with single skin walls with say an uninsulated flat roof and floor then you are at the high end of the conversion bracket.

An integral garage with full spec cavity walls etc, could be considerably less.

However, if you just want to separate off the garage i.e. just add a timber partition with a door then you will get this done for considerably less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back