garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
Just need a bit of advice on my garage conversion.I'm gonna replace the existing garage doors with a set of full width French doors with 2xside panels (to keep good access into the garden) .it's a flat roof and there doesn't seem to be anything holding up the roof above the garage doors other than timber studding .my question is door I need to install a lintel steel/concrete above the new French doors or can I leave it as it is as it is holding well enough?
To the side of my garage is a porch door and again there doesn't seem anything other than timber above this going to the roof.
Any input would be grateful .

Sponsored Links
Is there a large wooden beam above the doors and below the "studding"?
Given that it's worked so far it should be fit for purpose.
However, if BCO is involved, then all bets are off.
Why dont you approach the forum with more details of what you proposeto do with your garage?

As per Tim (above) - are you converting to b'regs or is this an under-the radar diy project?

If there is no masonry above these openings and the roof timbers are man enough to span the openings without the need for support then there is no need for a lintel.

However, my answer is a simplistic one to what could be a more complex issue. Info' is far too limited.

The reason i say this is that many garages are built with a simplistic low level roof that would not only contravene regs but would look tat in any case.

thanks guys.
It's gonna be used as a play room for my daughter.It's only small 13'L x8'W and just about 8' in height. I work for a loft company so materials aren't a problem floor joists celotex for floor and ceiling and plaster boarding sides either dotndab or stud frame.
A previous owner converted part of the garage to an utility room and from what I can tell it's only ply sheets on the ceiling and again stud work above the door into the remaining garage part.
Part of the garage roof leading up to the front garage doors is again covered in ply so until I get that off i can't tell if there is a timber beam running across the front or not but I don't think there is ,it is just stud work of the top of the flat roof spanning the width of the house which also has my main front door under it like the rest of the houses in the close.
I did want to go through BC but at a cost of £340 and then have to have brickwork put up to support an unnecessary lintel I am reconsidering, and just having a bespoke garage door made with glazing ,sitting on a concrete lintel to my floor height.
What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Still a confused mental picture. Can you post pic's of the "studding" with the ply removed, and general pics inside and out?
What do you mean "sitting on a lintel"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back