Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After sorting the drainage at the front of the house (as per earlier thread), I want to knock through and convert the garage into an open living space. I'm hoping to do most of the work myself but will need some help along the way from you guys I'm sure!

First question ... It's a single skin outside wall which has a small amount of water ingress since the outside ground is at a slightly higher level. Will I need to build a second skin with cavity or could I just tank the wall, insulate it and cover with platerboard on a stud frame?

The gas and electric meters are in the garage. I may need to arrange for these to be moved to provide space for a door into the house. Expensive?

What would you suggest for the flooring?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
at what height is the current ceiling in the garage?

or put it another way, measure from garage floor to ceiling joists.

and yes it's generally considered quite expensive to re-route gas or electric supplies, though it's easier to shorten rather than lengthen.

i would say that it is better to construct an internal skin of block work with cavity and insulation. this will almost certainly have to have its own concrete footing.*

*if the ceiling height is not within b.c. regulations then the roof will have to come off, brick/ block work raised hence new internal foundations to carry new roof and internal block wall.

Good point, I hadn't considered the height. Its actually 2m35 so should be OK.

The floor of the garage is concrete but I don't know how thick this is. Nevertheless, I doubt its deep enough to act as foundation for an internal block wall.

I would only build an inner block skin if I was going 2 stories. In this situation you want to firstly get rid of the damp. Trying to tank the wall etc is only half hiding the problem. Lower the external paving and it should be gone. Ensure that there is a DPC of course.

I would line the wall with 80mm battens on building paper, with 80mm Celotex or Kingspan between and plasterboard over.

A good reason to avoid doing a block inner skin is that you need to break a hole in the floor to find the foundation to see if that will support the weight. You could possibly build off the floor but sods law will say you can't and need to go down to foundations.

Floor, I would consider laying a DPM, 75,, (say) of Celotex and then chipboard over. It depends a lot on the difference between the garage floor level and the house. (Should be 100mm)

I am sure moving meters is something like £300? Do they need moving though, or just box them in with an access panel?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your response Tony. Battening is definately the preferred option.

Unfortunately, I don't think lowering the paving is an option as their is a drain which I don't think can be lowered (I'm only assuming this as having the drain at the same level would have been common sense at the time of building and would have prevented my garage constantly being flooded! cf. )//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60781)

Is there any alternative you can think of?

Also, which job should be done first? The floor or the inner wall? Presumeably, I'll need to lay some vapour membrane all over the floor and part way up the existing wall?

Cheers

I tried to understand the drain problem but I am a drawing kind of bloke and couldn't imagine it. A photo would help me. I must say that the sump pump idea seems a no brainer though.

I would lay the floor first, on a 1200guage DPM lapped up the walls. Then the walls can effectively sit on the floor.

If you look on the Celotex website you will probably find some details showing exactly how to do what your trying to do. I mention Celotex because their site has always been easy to follow for me (Being a drawing kind of man!)

By 'no brainer' I assume you mean the sump pumps the best idea! My thoughts exactly until I read some of the other responses (ie. blocked pump, local authority rules, etc)!

I'll try and get a photo (as soon as it stops raining!!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back