Garage - Drylining/Plasterboard advice needed! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi eveybody,

Would be really grateful for any help on this...

I have a garage partition with the following dimensions

Garage Dimensions

6.1m x 4.8m
Roof area approx 29.2m squared
The garage is single skin brick built garage with a lengthways dividing wall.

Main section 6.1 x 3.3m
Side section 6.1 x 1.5m

I am currently getting the roof reboarded with EPDM on top.

Plan

When this is complete.

The side "galley" section I wish to turn use as a dry storage area - and My idea is to plasterboard and dryline the two sections of outer-wall of so the "galley" section so this a dry space so things will not perish or get damp.
However as this galley is narrow - (1.5m) I'm trying to keep any studding, battenning to the bare minimum.

I really want to know

1. what the best - and thinnest - way to make this section a dry space
2. Will it remain dry even though I'm not intending (as yet) to board the rest of the garage.
3. Will I need to do anything to the floor to stop moisture rising?

I know that just because I have an idea in my head that doesnt make it viable So any tips or knowledge or ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

loz

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys, I hate to bump, but hoping someone might be abkle to give me a pointer - thanks!

Things you need to be aware of; plasterboard on it’s own will not turn a single skin brick garage possibly with no damp course, no damp membrane in the floor & no ambient heating during winter into a dry storage area. What’s more, when the damp gets into the plasterboard, it will warp all to hell & quickly disintegrate. Damp is the worst enemy of plasterboard (& plaster) & for this reason is a very poor choice for lining a garage unless you install damp membranes in the floor/walls, provide at least a low level of ambient heating during cold damp days & some level of insulation in the walls to avoid condensation during winter.

I advise you do a little more research, some of which will be found in the forum archive posts.

Thanks Richard, as a beginner its hard to look for soemthing when you dont know what youre looking for, so this is really useful. Cheers,

I will begin by looking at the wall and floor DPM issues. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Surely you could just 'tank' the area you want dry solving the damp and space problem. E.g. apply a damp proof plaster. The problem with this being it isn't cheap.

You can seal the floor easily enough but as one of the previous posts said that wont guarentee a completely dry area and condensation could potentially be a problem depending on how much of a seal the garage door makes, if its a garage door or two seperate normal doors. I presume with the construction air can still move between the two areas to some degree also complicating things depending on what you store in the other area.

no easy answers

Surely you could just 'tank' the area you want dry solving the damp and space problem. E.g. apply a damp proof plaster. The problem with this being it isn't cheap.
& you would recommend using :?:

Hi,

Ok, so taking on board the advice above, I have chipped away all the random self leveller that the last owner put on parts of the garage floor and am now left with exposed flagstones. My plan is to then lift all the flagstones and lay a DPM sheet underneath and then put the flagstones back.

After that I'm thinking of putting a chemical DPC around the bottom of the walls.

I do not plan to cover the flagstones afterwords, other than maybe with a bit of carpet.

Ok, so will this give me a good basis to then think about tackllng the walls?

Any comments very welcome. cheers :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back