Hatch in Dividing Wall - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Could really use some help with opening a hatch in the dividing wall inside my garage.

The garage is a single skin brick split into 2 sections one large section and a side "galley" section I intend to knock through a hatch at the far end of the dividing wall to act as the "bar" hatch through to the main section.

At the moment I am looking at making the dimensions of this "window" about 1.5m long by 1 high. The window starting approx 65cm up from the floor.

My plan is to knock out a single line of bricks above the proposed hatch and put a lintel there before removing the bricks below? Do you think I will need to suport the roof over this area while I knock out the bricks? Which lintel would be best to use? wil this have any implicaitons in terms of strength?

Joists do rest accross this dividing wall, but it is a plywood/EPDM flat roof on top and I cant decide if this dividing wall is helping keep the roof up or not - if that makes sense.

Ive done a couple of poor quality drawings in the hope of illustrating this better.

//www.diynot.com/network/lozinger/albums/

Any help or advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back