Garage electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, I’m planning on putting electric's into the garage, had 2 quotes, one is saying to use 6mm swa and the other 10mm swa

The run is around 37 meters and will be using power tools, heaters and lighting in the garage.

What would people advise to be used?
As one says it’s nessaccary to have the bigger and the other saying there is no need

Tia

Sponsored Links
Without load and usage details it's difficult to say, but go with 10mm, additional cost over 6mm is minimal in the big scheme.

hi, I’m planning on putting electric's into the garage, had 2 quotes, one is saying to use 6mm swa and the other 10mm swa ... The run is around 37 meters and will be using power tools, heaters and lighting in the garage. ... As one says it’s nessaccary to have the bigger and the other saying there is no need
What cable is required obviously depends on a clear understanding of what the loads are actually likely to be.

However, even if it appears that 6mm² cable would be adequate for your present purposes, the price differential is so relatively small that it would probably make sense to have 10mm², to allow a bit of leeway for what you might decide you need in the future.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I might assume the one who said 6mm² actually knows what he is doing and is going by what you have told him you need, and

the one who said 10mm² is one who fits 10mm² for cookers nowadays

but I could be wrong.

I might assume the one who said 6mm² actually knows what he is doing and is going by what you have told him you need, and the one who said 10mm² is one who fits 10mm² for cookers nowadays ... but I could be wrong.
Possibly. However, maybe it's just me (and I wouldn't do it with a cooker circuit!) but if I were going to bury SWA to supply an outhouse (which is very probably what the OP is considering) I would probably go for a cable at least 'one size up' from that which would be adequate for present requirements. However, as I said, maybe that's just me.

Kind Regards, John

Possibly. However, maybe it's just me (and I wouldn't do it with a cooker circuit!) but if I were going to bury SWA to supply an outhouse (which is very probably what the OP is considering) I would probably go for a cable at least 'one size up' from that which would be adequate for present requirements. However, as I said, maybe that's just me.

Kind Regards, John
Nope. Me too. Depending on the route from DB to garage and the length of time I thought I might live there, I MIGHT even consider going bigger again. One only ever adds tools to the collection. Very rarely do you discard something, even if you never use it.

I have a lot of power tools. But only 1 pair of hands. So, with a heater on, and a single power tool- is that going to overpower (see what I did there) 6mm cable?

Unless it's a welder!

I haven’t bought a welder as yet it’s something I’d buy in the future, it would only be small to weld cars

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back