SWA Cable to second garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a second garage at which I wish to install an Electric Roller Door.

Can anyone advise me what size SWA Cable is required to the second garage??

All it is going to supply is one socket to plug the Roller Door Motor into, no other electric is required and run is about 30 meters

Sponsored Links
This job is beyond the realms of DIY. Carefull considerations need to be made because of the Earthing arrangments, loading, voltage drop, connections at both ends, termination, testing, inspection and countless other points.

The job would also be notifiable, so by the time you have paid the Building Control fees, it would probably be more cost effective to employ an electrician who would do all the calculation for you and inform the council for you.

He most probably would be very pleased if you dug the trench for the cable though :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Anybody got a helpful answer, rather than sarcasm??
My post was not sarcastic.

My post was helpful. Or, at least, was meant to be. If you refuse the help it offers that's down to you, not I.

It contained everything that you need to know in order to size, install and test the cable which you said you want to install.

Can anyone advise me what size SWA Cable is required to the second garage??
One which is the right size to carry the load, given its installation method, not too small to be on whatever protective device you'll be using and large enough for voltage drop and fault loop resistance to be within limits. (Re that last aspect - I am very sorry - I missed links to info about that off the list - I've now updated it.)

And one which is then tested before and after being energised in order to confirm that all is well.

I also thought it would be useful to you to know about the installation of a SWA cable outdoors, and about the legal issues.

It may well have come as a surprise to you to find out how much is involved, and how much you need to know in order to be able to do the job, but that doesn't make it sarcasm to provide you with a proper answer to your question.

It is not possible to tell you what size cable you need because you have not provided enough information. There are many variables including electrical parameters which need to be determined about your existing electrical intake. These parameters need to be determined by a trained person. This is notifiable work and it needs to be certified. The best advice you could be offered is to call a registered electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back