Garage extension advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to extend my existing brick built, felt flat roofed garage which currently is approx. 18m2.

The garage will be extended to the boundary (within 1m) and at the main entrance end.

The overall footprint will be approx. 28m2 so no need for planning, in terms of construction my options are either existing brickwork and timber frame with cement board or existing brickwork and blockwork.

My dilemma is that whichever option i go with for aesthetics it will need to be cladded.

There's seems to be a bit of a grey area in terms of non-combustible materials, when i take a look around there is timber frame construction with non-combustible material on boundary lines not to mention single storey inhabited extensions with flat felt roofs (terraced).

So where do I stand with the roof ? I don't particularly want to do a pitched tiled roof. Also does the cladding need to be non-combustible if the structure behind is protected (for timber construction) and internally with plasterboard.

I can't think of any other option of finishing masonry without spending thousands on render etc even then I'm concerned that may one day crack.

Thanks I'm advance.

Matt

Sponsored Links
External spread of flame is the main issue that needs dealing with. There are low combustible felts or systems for flat roofs, and cladding.

The cavity and eaves will need proper detailing

Hi Woody,

I was looking at this last night and from reading GRP roofing is an option. There is no cavity (single block with piers will be used). The cladding if I clad is a whole seperate issue, initially I'm looking for alternative finishing solutions.

Sponsored Links
There will be a cavity behind any cladding, and typically it will need to be vented.

You will need to check the rating for spread of flame as well as combustibility for whatever product you choose, including GRP

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back