Outbuilding within 1m of boundary. To what extent does it have to be non combustable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I want to build an outbuilding in my garden, it will be 0.6m from the boundary (neighbours fences) in 3 directions (back, and both sides). It will be around 26sqm internally.

I understand, as it will be within 1m of the boundary, it has to be constructed of mainly of non combustible material. Is the extent it has to be non combustible defined anywhere?

I am planning to construct the walls from blocks, with the roof constructed of timber rafters, osb board and EPDM over the top. I was thinking about using timber cladding on the external sides of the block to finish it.

Is this acceptable?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you would have to use non combustible cladding.

it will fall under building regs.

it will fall under building regs.
It won't if it is built of substantially non combustible materials. It's under 30sqm. Exempt if over 1m from boundary OR built of substantially non combustible.

If you are only cladding the wall that faces your garden you should be fine. Will you have enough garden left to not fall foul of the 50% rule for planning?

Sponsored Links
I did want to do the entire perimeter of the building. Now my partner is thinking we clad the front and paint the sides and back.

If ive read the rules correctly, outbuildings cant have a footprint of more than 50% of the land surrounding the house.

Current garage (at rear of property) = 13.25 m2
Remaining back garden = 44.6 m2
Driveway at front of house = 47.55 m2
Shared access with neighbour at side of house to get to garages (but on my side of the boundary) = 35.55 m2.
Total = 150 m2

Current garage (13.25m2) + proposed new building (33m2 external footprint including overhang of roof) = 46.25m2.

So i should be ok under the 50% rule?

You need to stop the structure burning, stop fire getting out across the boundary, and prevent it spreading over the external surface of the walls and roof. That's the extent.

But the country is littered with wooden sheds. Are they all illegal?

The 1m non-combustible rule is fine as far as it goes, but inevitably relies on a fair bit of subjectivity.

First the definition of "non-combustible" is not defined although there is much guidance on what is perceived as non combustible.

Second, I have seen posts where advice is that even if one small "part of the development is less than 1m from the boundary the whole building is not exempt"; fine, but the rules say "boundary" not "boundary feature", and almost nobody has a defined boundary. Even the land registry says that their plans only show a general boundary, and the red lines are often a 1m wide in real world.

I did want to do the entire perimeter of the building. Now my partner is thinking we clad the front and paint the sides and back.

If ive read the rules correctly, outbuildings cant have a footprint of more than 50% of the land surrounding the house.

Current garage (at rear of property) = 13.25 m2
Remaining back garden = 44.6 m2
Driveway at front of house = 47.55 m2
Shared access with neighbour at side of house to get to garages (but on my side of the boundary) = 35.55 m2.
Total = 150 m2

Current garage (13.25m2) + proposed new building (33m2 external footprint including overhang of roof) = 46.25m2.

So i should be ok under the 50% rule?
Your shared access- is it documented (on the deeds saying it's your land but neighbours can use it)? If not then you would be wise to formalise it to prevent arguments in the future.
With that caveat, sounds as if you have enough space

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back