Garage extra socket

BS7671 says "An unfused spur may be connected to the origin of the circuit in the distribution board." It is permitting three connections to the MCB.

This isn't about the number of wires that can be terminated into an MCB.

It's more about preventing annoyance to the home owner, if a circuit trips out and won't reset.

Sponsored Links
Blimey Winston/george/Westfield

what a load of bullocks

just about every one of the old Wylex boards had wiring from the BACK.
these days cabling can come from any direction. You really need to get out more.

I did say most. Of course there are exceptions.

Who is George?
What is Westfield?

Sponsored Links
Not if its a concrete floor, I would think most CUs I have changed are rear entry or top with an odd few cables coming from below

This isn't about the number of wires that can be terminated into an MCB. It's more about preventing annoyance to the home owner, if a circuit trips out and won't reset.
Is it not you who, for some reason has widened the discussion in that fashion?

I thought that everyone else was talking about "the number of wires that can be terminated into an MCB", until the goalposts moved. You are now talking about the general undesirability of having many sockets/rooms supplied by a single circuit (hence one MCB) - which is obviously a potential concern regardless of how many connections there are to the MCB.

In relation to that 'new' issue, whilst it is obviously 'a potential cause for concern', I think it's already been observed that there are countless houses out there which have only two sockets circuits for the whole house and, particularly in the past, a good few with only one such circuit (and maybe also only one lighting circuit).

Kind Regards, John

And not a concern for the Simple addition of a socket to a radial which already sports a socket.
Quite so. I've already pointed that out and, having seemingly been the one who introduced this confusion, Andy replied with:
No one in here was arguing it was relevant to the op
Ah well!

Try to keep safe.

Kind Regards, John

I mentioned it as the op mention the issue from someone he spoke to.
You did, but the someone he spoke to was presumably talking (and 'talking nonsense') about his actual situation - since I think we are all agreed that the is no problem in in having two cables connected to one MCB in a garage CU, each supplying one socket.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back