Garage fascia replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of replacing the rotten timber fascias on my garage.

The garage is of 70s vintage, metal panel walls, corrugated asbestos roof, up and over door. The fascias are 150mm x 18mm timber, fastened to a metal frame inside the garage by bolts and in some cases long screws every metre or so. A 75mm timber "cap" is then nailed on top to overlap the roof edges. The front of the garage has tongue & grove timber cladding.

* This looks like a 2 man job. Someone to hold the timbers in place while I drill through and fix the bolts. But is it possible to do this by oneself? Anyone tried this?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Work out the hole position on 1 end, drill the hole for the fascia and the panel, temporary push in the bolt holding the timber then go to the other end and drill plus bolt etc.

Or drill the hole in the middle, the overhung of the roof will stop the fascia swinging

Thanks. You make it sound easy!
I'll give it a try next weekend.

Mike

I made a right ba**s up of this...So bad I will need to redo it at some time.

* The timber I sourced was too short and not wide enough. The longest pieces of timber I could get in my car were 2.4 m x 144 mm from Wickes. Consequently, for a 6 metre garage I ended up using 4 sections of timber. (The mounting brackets seemed to fall at 2.5 m intervals!) The timber wasn't wide enough to cope with the gap created by the roof slope from front to back. So I ended up nailing a 2 inch wide bit of wood on top to fill the gap.

* The 4 sections ended up stepped/terraced, because the timber wasn't wide enough. I nailed some more thin strips on where possible but it still looks a pigs ear.

* One of the 4 sections is misaligned vertically -- I drilled the hole for the fixing bolt in slightly the wrong place. When everything is tightened up, it warps out.

Any tips on redoing this?
Option 1 -- Get the correct length and widths of timber. 4 sections will never line up!Will require delivery or a van or roof rack.
Option 2 -- Try and rework what I have. Then clad with uPVC (expensive).

Any web resources on doing this job? Is it best to start at the back (lowest point) or the front (highest point)? I started in the middle...

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
mike004 said:
I made a right ba**s up of this...So bad I will need to redo it at some time.
Don't worry, we've all been there, it's the only way to learn and remember a person who doesn't makes mistake never did anything.
Any tips on redoing this?
Just take your time and getting an extra hand is a bonus
Will require delivery or a van or roof rack.
Best to have it delivered
Option 2 -- Try and rework what I have. Then clad with uPVC (expensive).
Start again, if you can do a photo, maybe there's another way of doing it. Maybe you could bolt some timber length to help you fit the fascia board
Or something like this?
cover_board.jpg

Any web resources on doing this job?
I can't find one yet, will keep looking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back