Garage floor - to screed or not to screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

This is my 1st posting of what could be many to this excellent group as I embark on my own extension project with individual professionals!! :rolleyes:

I will have a garage (6m x 5.5m) attached to the side of the house that will have an internal door to a living room towards the rear.

Question is basically should I do anything in ADDITION to the concrete oversite? It'll be C25 mix but what I'm concerned about is the level of dust from such a floor and the fact that we'll go from the garage straight into a living room quite a lot. Would adding anything to the surface help reduce the dust and still be practible given it'll store a car and be used as workshop?

Many thanks all
Mike

Sponsored Links
paint the floor with either a sealer or an expoxy paint. That's what I've done and it makes one hell of a difference.

Concrete on it's own is a bit dusty.

Hi ya Mike

Yep, this a very useful forum and people very helpful on it - welcome!

Regarding your garage floor, I was thinking along similar with my garage flooring - I saw once in a horsey magazine that you can by rubber/latex flooring mix that can be poured on. I think they use it for something comfortable for horses rather than solid concrete messing up their shoes, but it struck me that something similar would be useful in garage.

Anyway, hopefully someone else will be able to answer on the screed front.

C.

Ahh well done toasty, epoxy paint sounds like a reasonable idea (though a rubber floor still appeals to me!)

c.

Sponsored Links
Screed isnt necessary but helps to give you a more resiliant surface that can be laid to falls to allow water to run out of the garage

Thank you all for the help!
I'll probably not screed (as hopefully no water in there!!)
But I'll keep my eyes open for a rubber coating :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back