1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Screeding a concrete garage floor

Discussion in 'Building' started by peweuk, 7 Jul 2021.

1. peweuk

peweuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We are moving house soon and at the next property there is a garage 5.5m x 5.5m in floor area.
    The floor is made up of a concrete slab which is very poorly finished and although suitable for a garage it is not really smooth enough to make a decent workshop floor.
    There is plenty of room to raise the floor by up to 80mm and I am wondering if using a smoothed 3:1 cement screed of about 30 - 40mm would be sufficiently strong to support the cars and what, if anything, I should consider before undertaking the work (for example using a hardener, a bonding coat first etc)

Any advice/comments welcome.
    Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Mr Chibs

Mr Chibs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would think you will need some reinforcement mesh lobbing in the screed.

I would also think 50mm would be better.

Prime the concrete with pva/primer g, first.

Are you mixing the screed yourself?
    Think 3:1 was recommended when I look at doing mine... although I went pumped screed.

4. peweuk

peweuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was in two minds about how thick to make it, and if I can I'll make it as thick as possible and bend to your suggestion about using mesh - any particular type?
    Should the PVA be diluted or neat.

I have costed on the basis I would mix it, but only because at this stage I'm not sure how close to the property I will find a pumping supplier. I guess doing 25 sq m would not be a quick job by hand.

5. Mr Chibs

Mr Chibs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Pva should be diluted, will tell you on the tub, but think 1:3 is a good start.

Pumping is costly and probably not cost effective on your size floor, you could however get the screed ready mixed, look at volumetric, and most companies will barrow in will only take 20 mins.

6. peweuk

peweuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks

It was suggested that the cost of liquid screed would be about £18 sq.m and labour to lay would be about £12 sq.m
    I am not sure if this was pumped or delivered, and what thickness the suggestion was based on.

Sorry, what or who is volumetric, and if it took only 20 minutes to barrow in, how long would before it would be no longer pliable enough to spread/smooth?

7. Mr Chibs

Mr Chibs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Liquid screed is more dense, than trowelled screeds, And it’s not cement based... this is useful when laying a thinner amount especially for ufh.

Volumetric mixing is a lorry that mixes the sand, water and cement together as they fill your barrow.
    You pay by the amount you use, so you can have any quantity.

As for workability, I reckon you’d have to speak the the supplier. I assume it will take longer to go off as it’s quite a dry mix. Also depends on how quick you can flat it off.

When I used volumetric mixer it was to lay a 3m³ concrete slab not screed.

8. peweuk

peweuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for explaining.
    I appreciate all your input.

9. Sponsored Links