Screeding a concrete garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are moving house soon and at the next property there is a garage 5.5m x 5.5m in floor area.
The floor is made up of a concrete slab which is very poorly finished and although suitable for a garage it is not really smooth enough to make a decent workshop floor.
There is plenty of room to raise the floor by up to 80mm and I am wondering if using a smoothed 3:1 cement screed of about 30 - 40mm would be sufficiently strong to support the cars and what, if anything, I should consider before undertaking the work (for example using a hardener, a bonding coat first etc)

Any advice/comments welcome.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would think you will need some reinforcement mesh lobbing in the screed.

I would also think 50mm would be better.

Prime the concrete with pva/primer g, first.

Are you mixing the screed yourself?
Think 3:1 was recommended when I look at doing mine... although I went pumped screed.

I would think you will need some reinforcement mesh lobbing in the screed.

I would also think 50mm would be better.

Prime the concrete with pva/primer g, first.

Are you mixing the screed yourself?
Think 3:1 was recommended when I look at doing mine... although I went pumped screed.

I was in two minds about how thick to make it, and if I can I'll make it as thick as possible and bend to your suggestion about using mesh - any particular type?
Should the PVA be diluted or neat.

I have costed on the basis I would mix it, but only because at this stage I'm not sure how close to the property I will find a pumping supplier. I guess doing 25 sq m would not be a quick job by hand.

Pva should be diluted, will tell you on the tub, but think 1:3 is a good start.

Pumping is costly and probably not cost effective on your size floor, you could however get the screed ready mixed, look at volumetric, and most companies will barrow in will only take 20 mins.

Sponsored Links
Pva should be diluted, will tell you on the tub, but think 1:3 is a good start.

Thanks

Pumping is costly and probably not cost effective on your size floor,

It was suggested that the cost of liquid screed would be about £18 sq.m and labour to lay would be about £12 sq.m
I am not sure if this was pumped or delivered, and what thickness the suggestion was based on.

you could however get the screed ready mixed, look at volumetric, and most companies will barrow in will only take 20 mins.

Sorry, what or who is volumetric, and if it took only 20 minutes to barrow in, how long would before it would be no longer pliable enough to spread/smooth?

Liquid screed is more dense, than trowelled screeds, And it’s not cement based... this is useful when laying a thinner amount especially for ufh.

Volumetric mixing is a lorry that mixes the sand, water and cement together as they fill your barrow.
You pay by the amount you use, so you can have any quantity.

As for workability, I reckon you’d have to speak the the supplier. I assume it will take longer to go off as it’s quite a dry mix. Also depends on how quick you can flat it off.

When I used volumetric mixer it was to lay a 3m³ concrete slab not screed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back