Garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a garage and the floor looks like it was given an epoxy finish by the previous owner?. The concrete beneath has a very course aggregate and although level isn't very even. The floor itself has had oil leaked on it in places.

I want to do something with it to improve both the evenness and looks, so perhaps self levelling compound and new resin finish but am concerned that anything I do will just lift.

Does anyone have any experience of similar situation or general advice of how I should approach this?

Regards

Simon

Sponsored Links
Self levelling compound isn't very strong and probably won't bond to an epoxy finish- more likely it is floor paint really, proper epoxy is pricey but will fill in all the gaps, ripples etc. SLC isn't cheap either. Best bet is live with it, maybe put some carpet down or those interlocking rubber tiles. You might get away with another coat of floor paint but the oil may be an issue- not sure what the best solvent to use would be.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure it is epoxy as I have used that on our last house garage floor but as you say SLC is unlikely to bond well to it which I think is key (no pun intended). A carpet might not be a bad idea! Thanks Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back