Garage Floor Levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage floor is extremely uneven. The surface is rough and broken up in places, and also the floor slopes down maybe 50mm or so over the length of the garage.

I'd quite like to fix it, and i've heard of self levelling compounds etc, but i've no idea if these are suitable for such an environment where you might be using axle stands and jacks etc.

Can anyone give any pointers how to approach this?

Ideally i would like to get it level and smooth, then either applying an epoxy finish or maybe tile.

I've attached a photo, its not the best but gives some idea of the unevenness. There are worse areas under the car too.

Attachments

• 20240420_171317.jpg
    20240420_171317.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 14
Sponsored Links
My garage floor is extremely uneven. The surface is rough and broken up in places, and also the floor slopes down maybe 50mm or so over the length of the garage.

I'd quite like to fix it, and i've heard of self levelling compounds etc, but i've no idea if these are suitable for such an environment where you might be using axle stands and jacks etc.

Can anyone give any pointers how to approach this?

Ideally i would like to get it level and smooth, then either applying an epoxy finish or maybe tile.

I've attached a photo, its not the best but gives some idea of the unevenness. There are worse areas under the car too.
There are few remedies, which are applied thinly, that will not eventually delaminate or break up. A granno screed bonded to the existing with SBR slurry may work. Not easy though and would put a minimum of say 30mm + on the garage surface.

Yeah that was my worry, and 30mm at the high end near the door means maybe 80mm or more at the lower side, which given the roof pitch will make a real dent on the headroom right where its needed the most.

The rear wall of the garage is ~5 feet high, and its a monopitch roof at around 15-20 degrees

Could it be worth grinding down the high spots first to get something without such a taper before applying the screed?

I guess the proper fix is in with a concrete breaker and then pour a new slab...?

Whats the likely/approximate costs of the screed+SBR (lets say assuming it ends up at 60mm average depth) over an area of 4.5x5.5m vs laying a new slab?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back