Self leveling only a part of a concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Hope you're all in good form :)

My latest project in the house is leveling (and then covering with laminate flooring) my garage concrete floor. I think the best bet would be leveling compound as it's pretty uneven in parts. I have a couple of problems though:

(Please see pictures below)

IMG_7941.jpg IMG_7939.jpg

- What do I do at the Garage threshold? (Where the garage door is) Would you simply put a batten down there against the closed garage door on the inside and then level the compound to that point, to ensure garage door still closes properly?
- I am using my garage as a workshop as you can see, so I have installed some worktops and shelves, which are held up by a timber structure. Would you level the compound around the bottom of these pieces of 2x4 or would you install some battens as a mean of control joints for the compound?
- Lastly, I have a water heater in the corner of the garage. Again, would you install some timbers around it to control the flow of the leveling compound?

Or am I better off just ripping everything out, hacking at the concrete and re-laying properly? :) I'd rather avoid that, but it's just a matter of cost vs how much of a pain the latter solution would be.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

G

Sponsored Links
There's very little point in installing laminate floor in a garage.

1) It won;t cope with the moisture/humidity levels very well - effectively the conditions inside the garage will match the conditions outside (without precipitation !)
2) Using laminate flooring in a workshop is like building an indoor skating rink - sawdust on the floor provides a very effective lubricant!
3) If you do put flooring down then it's usual practise to clear the area, lay the floor and then install benches/units etc.

If I may presume, for a workshop a smooth and not too unlevel surface is required. Using P5 T&G chip board as a rugged surface. if you cut the panels 5mm short at each end that should cope with atmospheric moisture but not a lack of DPC.
I would run a batten over the floor and knock of any isolated pebbles or small high spots. Any spots lower then 2mm from the general level should be filled in with soft sand mortar.
I would then fit the boards starting at the back, with the boards across the width, laying them on lots of ribbons of Gripfix, on the T&G joints, use PVA, hold the front edge of the boards up with four or so battens running for and aft. More gripfix, splodge up the joints with PVA, let down second board gently, then withdraw the battens to hold up the front of the second board.. . . Finish up with a bit of plastic trim against the door to stop water getting in under the T&G. Wait a couple of hours and gently walk across the surface to squeeze the Gripfix down into voids. Leave overnight before putting your lathe or milling machine on it. :)
Frank

Sponsored Links
Thanks newboy and princeofdarkness,

Some really good advice. I think it will be a case of completely redoing the floor in due course, but that may mean having to wait a little longer than I originally intended, which is a slight annoyance.

Anyway, thank you that gives me lots of thinking material!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back