Garage Flooring - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok as part of my project to make the garage into more of a man space and bar i am insulating and boarding the walls and ceiling for which i have think i have a plan and some good adive from woody on here.

The next stage is to look at the floor, currently this is a pour concreate slab, which i believe as a DPC under it due to the plastic been exposed around the edges. The floor currently sits 2 bricks below the DPC layer in the walls, so my after readying various source i have come up with the following plan.

1) Cover the entire floor in 75mm polystyrene blocks

2) Lay a DPM over the insulation, this will actually be a continuation of the DPM that comes down the walls.

3) Lay T&G chipboard over the top glued together but leaving a 10mm expansion gap all around.

4) Lay fibre underlay boards ontop of the chipboard and then lay the laminate on top of this.

Points to note are that the new floor will on take up around 2/3 rds of the garage so i was going to put a joist across where the new floor finished to butt against. Also the wall will be installed first with the plasterboard be 25mm clear of the concreate. This will mean that the finished floor hieght will be around 75mm above the bottom of the wall.

One point of confusions has been where the DPM for the floor should go either above the insulation or below it on the concreate slab. Any advice would be appreciated either good or bad or alternative solutions.

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back