garage foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi building a double garage out of breeze blocks double skinned with flat roof dont need regs or planning its built detatched in garden on clay what would be best foundations strip or raft if strip how deep would use re bar to stengthen too or if raft would do how deep if using strip floor would be poured at sametime cheers mk

Sponsored Links
Please re-post using punctuation such as comma's, full stops and question marks to break up your sentences.

As it is, it does not make coherent sense.

Hi I'm building a double garage out of breeze blocks, double skinned with flat roof. I dont need regs or plannings as its built detatched in the garden. As it's on clay what would be best foundations, strip or raft?
If strip how deep? Would I use re bar to stengthen too, or if raft would I do it?
How deep if using strip foundations? Would the floor be poured at same time cheers mk

Sponsored Links
Please re-post using punctuation such as comma's, full stops and question marks to break up your sentences.

As it is, it does not make coherent sense.

What are you? Some kind of effing English teacher? Post makes perfect sense to me.

Mark
If I was building this for my-self, on clay sub ground, then I would go trench fill with foundations 1 metre deep with 700mm concrete fill. You could possibly cut this down to 900mm dig and 600mm concrete fill depending on the sub ground.

It is very easy to work out your loading, how ever can not give you width of trench, either 450 or 600 as do not know plasticity of your sub ground.

Any problems, then come back.
Regards oldun

thanks oldun makes sense my post made sense to me and as i wasnt doing an essay didnt think punctuation made a f kin difference lol any way can i lay floor at same time this would be cheaper as concrete truck will charge more for smaller load clay is quite solid there is a garage nxt door but their foundations are only 600 deep and 450 wide thanks again everyone please add to this if you wish all advice welcome mk...

thanks oldun makes sense my post made sense to me and as i wasnt doing an essay didnt think punctuation made a f kin difference lol ...
Er no, but it does make it less painful to read.

If you can't be arsed to write properly, don't expect people to muddle through your posts. Some people find reading difficult. Your illiterate scrawl could make it impossible.

you dont have to muddle through anything its ledgeable english and scrawl i think not its typed if this is all you have to whinge about its time you got a life some of us have real lives to live the time its taken to whinge about punctuation you could have answered the question thats if it wasnt too hard to understand .............

You can't lay the floor at the same time as a strip foundation coz you need to build the walls up to DPC first.

You can't lay the floor at the same time as a strip foundation coz you need to build the walls up to DPC first.

The old scrumpy lad is right Mark, except that he has said strip foundation instead of trench fill foundation.
Dig and concrete founds, brickwork or block work to footings, blinded MOT to sub floor, DPM over and turned up footings and lapped over top, then concrete floor,
Regard foundation depth. We quote.
The depth to the underside of foundations on clay soils should not be less than 0.75m on low shrinkage clay soils, 0.9m on medium shrinkage clay soils and 1.0m on high shrinkage clay soils, although these depths may need to be increased in order to transfer the loading onto satisfactory ground, or where there are trees etc, nearby..
Regard foundation width. Your loading is approx 16.00 KN/lin metre and providing your setting out is very accurate and it is firm clay we would go 450mm wide.
We are not saying do not use strip footings, but if you do you will need 600mm wide width. We sometimes use a raft, but we ring beam the perimeter toe and mesh the slab.
One other point. on a garage we would not go cavity wall
Regards oldun

The irony here is that "comma's" should not have an apostrophe icon_wink.gif

and all sentences should end with a full stop. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back