Garage fuse board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DONT ASK QUESTIONS ON A DIY FORUM BECAUSE THE USUAL SUSPECTS WILL BE THERE READY TO HAVE A GO.

Sponsored Links
DONT ASK QUESTIONS ON A DIY FORUM BECAUSE THE USUAL SUSPECTS WILL BE THERE READY TO HAVE A GO.

My detached garage electricity supply runs off of my house fuse board
What exactly is in the 'house fuse board' and how is the garage supply connected to it? (Pictures are better than descriptions)

The answers will determine what is needed in the garage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. I can't get pictures tonight but the house board has a trip labled garage and the garage has its own old fashioned fuse wire board. Only 2 circuits on it, 1 light 1 socket

Well you can still keep to one light one socket circuit, use a garage CU could well need RCD protection, depending on the set up.
Install outside lights on lighting circuit, install a two pole isolator for outside light and same with outside socket on socket circuit, a two pole isolator in case of any problem with moisture and RCD trips.
But more info tomorrow please and better advice can be offered once more is known!

What type of loads do you intend to use in garage?
6A for lights
16,20 or 32A for sockets

I want the outside socket on its own switch do I can't turn it off then not in use.
not sure what you mean! You can have it on the garage socket circuit and have it on an internal isolator to power off.

Basically I'm unsure which MCBs I need for lighting and socket rings. I'm gin to get a 4 or even 6 way consumer unit and just blank the spares. I want the outside socket on its own switch do I can't turn it off then not in use.

Any suggestions on what amp MCBs I need?

Someones going to say it eventually - so I might as well :)

This work is notifiable to your local Building Control.

You either notify them BEFORE you commence work, and pay the fee.......or you can't DIY, you'll have to employ a registered spark.

Judging by your questions, you're also going to have to do an awful lot of research if you're doing it yourself.

BAS has a nice list of bedtime reading for you, if that's your choice. :)

You mean run it off a fused spur, yeah could do that just thought it would look better of the CU.

As for the sockets there will be 3 doubles and 1 outside.

Again, thanks for your reply.

What do you want to run in the garage? Heater, welder, engine hoist, lathe, washing machine/tumble dryer???????????
and
what size cable is provided to the garage, feeding the garage fuseboard?

A radial circuit on a 20A MCB using 2.5mm T&E would do
But you can go for 32A RFC on 2.5mm T&E or 32A Radial on 4.00mm T&E
Bigger is better as it will cover you for any extra loads in the future.
But 20A is enough providing your not using equipment with high inrush currents.
Still need the extra info about supply side of things.

The garage feed is thick but unsure in exact size, I'll repost pics tomorrow.

So as it stands. 6amp MCB for lights. 20 amp for sockets which will only run battery chargers for bike/drill or intermittent power tools. That amp for outside socket used for lawn mower/radio? Also, I'm going to run all new cable in 2.5 twin and earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back