garage insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to start insulating my self built timber garage...frame is mostly 2x4's,sheathed with osb and will have a 12mm internal lining
was going to use 100mm kingspan or the like....til I saw the price :eek: Can anyone suggest a more suitable(read "cheaper") alternative?....I've got the chance of some cheapish leftover cellotex batts but they are only 75mm...could I get away with using them or would the additional 25mm airspace cause any issues particularly regarding the dreaded condensation?

Sponsored Links
I used rockwool fairly cheap, keep eye open for skips, excess often thrown away, got 4 rolls via freecycle last week.

What you use for insulation depends on what you are trying to achieve. Why are you insulating it and what are you going to do in there?

Thanks for the replies...mostly it's to keep the place at a pretty even temperature to store my tools,motorbike etc and work in over the winter.
Will be putting in some soffit vents and basic form of heating but obviously it won't need insulating to standard of a habitable building.

Sponsored Links
Ok. Then I would say 50mm of well fitted polystyrene on the walls and 100 mm for the roof would be perfectly up to the job. Your biggest issue then would be draughts from the doors.

That said, if you are going to be welding in there then rockwool would be a safer option - or boarding over the polystyrene.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back