Garage insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had the attached garage converted to a habitable space sometime ago. Quite happy with the usuable space but it is no very warm, no where near anything like the house, is this normal, atleast difference of 5 degrees?

It is a single wall garage but the builder built proper stud walls (treated timber battens) inside with 80mm insulation panels behind the paster board leaving few cm of gap inbetween the stud wall and the brick wall. The garage loft was also well insulated. There is a proper radiator installed that comes on at the same time as the house.

The floor was not dug or insulation. As far I remember there was some plastic sheet (dpm) under the concrete. I have used Cloud 9 Cumulus 11mm Thick Carpet Underlay before laying the carpet.

What can I do to sort it out as it is not warm as other rooms are?

Sponsored Links
The cheapest option is to put additional radiators in. Its likely that the heat is going out the floor, 80mm of fibre board insulation isn't much.. its not bad if its PIR/Celotex type stuff.

How inconvenient would it be to raise the floor?

The insulation panels are proper celotex type with foil on one side. I was told it is more than enough.

Raising the floor seems possible, need to check with builder. What sort of insulation is recommended for floor and how it needs to done? Thanks

depends how high you are happy to go but 50mm on a timber frame with celotex between.

but the best option is another heating source.

Sponsored Links
Will check with builder as skirting needs to be adjusted. Which will be more effective? Another radiator or floor insulation? Is walls insulation more than enough?

depends how high you are happy to go but 50mm on a timber frame with celotex between.

but the best option is another heating source.

Spoken to the builder, he said we have to go for 80mm minimum as 50mm will not pass Building Regs.

Also I have noticed this morning by touching the walls and floor, the walls are very cold (even got 80mm insulation panels) whereas the floor seems ok?

you might have some thermal bridging.. If he left gaps in the insulation it could be this. Is this a standard single garage? What capacity is the radiator?

The panels were pretty tight as far I know. The radiator is stelrad radiator compact 1200mm x 600mm. We calculated the amount of heat it will generate before installing it and it was way more than needed.. the room is around 4.7m x 2.5m.

Also I need some advice, although the full work has been carried out with building regs (apart from floor) but the application was never made hence not checked by Building Control Officer. How easy is to get the buidling regulations certificate after the work has been done.

Please guide.

Last edited:
Its not going to be easy - since 1, its already been done and 2, it doesn't comply.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200137/how_to_get_approval/78/pre-site_approval/4

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...BR__PDF__AD_L1B_2013_with_2016_amendments.pdf

That Rad is apprx 1KW, based on your description, I reckon 1kw is optimistic, my own rough calcs say at least 1.5kw. Is the Rad actually hot? Is it possible that the supply pipes were not properly insulated and all the heat is going out before it gets to the radiator.

Last edited:
Hi, I understand, atleast worth a try with restrospective building reg sign off. There was no major structuarl work involved, even the garage door is still there (the insulated stud wall just in front of it). I clicked few pictures of the work being carried out which will atleast show the way it has been done and the material used.

Is there an time limit to make a such a restrospective building reg application?

Its probably in your interests to wait at least 12 months since the build, to apply otherwise they can take enforcement action.

Radiator way too small , my walls have 60mm insulated plasterboard but walls are 265mm thick.what do you call well insulated roof? My ground floor extension has either 125 celutex or 400 mm rock wool .

Radiator way too small , my walls have 60mm insulated plasterboard but walls are 265mm thick.what do you call well insulated roof? My ground floor extension has either 125 celutex or 400 mm rock wool .

OK, what radiator size would you recommend? I will check with my plumber as well. We have used 80mm insulated panels in the stud wall. The walls are single brick wall, which will be I think 11cm. Well insulated roof - Base layer of 100mm and top layer of 170mm...

Not enough info (window size , number of Ext walls etc)for accurate rad calcs but around 2.5kw for living room.
You insulation meets minimum levels , better to exceed them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back