garage insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently lined my timber garage with 9mm ply and whilst I was at it, I stuck a load of 100mm polystyrene Jablite sheets in between the upright "joists" to try and keep it a bit warmer in winter, having read a few threads on here am I right in thinking I should've put up some kind of vapour barrier twixt the ply and the Jablite.
The garage is full timber construction,outer walls are clad(from the outside) with shiplap, bitumen paper and 6mm ply fixed to a 4"x2" frame then the Jablite then my 9mm lining...hope that explains it enough. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Don't fret too much, if the jablite is snugly fitting between the studs then it should keep most of the moisture in anyway, just big gaps you should worry about.
I'd imagine the room isn't heated and you don't have a washer or unvented dryer in there do you?
Any air vents in the walls?

Yes Deluks, the Jablite is very snug! had to really force it in some places, probably got about 1/4 inch accross the surface though, got four small air vents up in the gable ends(was thinking of adding some more?) plus bit of a gap around the up and over door of course.
There is a tumble dryer out there but its properly vented to the outside and I have it rigged so it wont operate if the door is shut,at least thats what I've told the girlfriend ;)
Also planning to put some of those slimline panel heaters out there in winter but just to keep the chill off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back