Garage Floor Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am building a WC in the garage. The existing concrete floor has DPM. I need to build the floor up some 175mm to make level with door into house.

The guy helping me is suggesting timber joists placed on existing floor with polystyrene in between the joists. This sounds fine to me. However I have some questions.

1. Do I need another DPM? If so where, ontop of the existing concrete and below the new joists? Or...............???

2. What do u advise to insulate the floor? I wondered about packing jablite between the joists, but do I pack it onto the existing garage floor or do I leave an air gap either above or below the jablite, if so how big an air gap? 18mm chip or ply board goes on top, then laminate flooring etc.

Please dont suggest doing away with the joist idea, my handyman is insistant that this is the way to go, especially to ensure a level and aligned floor.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back