Garage into a utility room - plaster? Boiler? Meters? Studding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ,

I have a garage and I want to turn it into a utility room(not a formal room - just a room with a washing machine in). The garage is within the house(only 1 side wall faces outside) - and this wall is double brick (not insulated).

I am getting the boiler man to fit the boiler in their. I am also going to have my alarm wiring and a network cabinet in the garage.

1) I am planning to plaster the wall. Do I need to add any boards? I seen some insulated plasterboard? Is this needed given only 1 wall is a outdoor wall.

2) the ceiling of the garage used to have asbestos boards(which are now removed. What boards should I use in place? should I plaster these boards also?

3). I am planning on plastering After the system boiler and pipe work is done. Does this make sense? I am planning to box piping and boiler/cylinder than I will plaster over it. Should I paint wall behind boiler to stop dust getting to boiler?

4) What is the best insulated garage door I can get?

5 there's a electricity/gas pipe from meters? Can I stud/box over these?

6 how can I create boxing around boiler/cylinder? And thing to note?

7 anything else I missed?

Sponsored Links
I would not box in the boiler. They get warm in use so this heat goes into the room. If you box it in, the heat can't get out so the actual boiler innards will run hotter possiblely damaging the wiring and computer.
If this room will no longer be used as a garage then insulating the floor would be a good idea. One point is look at the walls and make sure that you can not see the DPC, i.e. its at a level beneath the floor slab, I have seen them a brick level higher, which is OK for a garage but not to plaster over.
The 42mm roll up garage doors come with foam within each of the sections. If the door faces south do not get a green one!!, it will run at 120*F in the summer if its in unshaded sun.
Frank

I would not box in the boiler. They get warm in use so this heat goes into the room. If you box it in, the heat can't get out so the actual boiler innards will run hotter possiblely damaging the wiring and computer.
If this room will no longer be used as a garage then insulating the floor would be a good idea. One point is look at the walls and make sure that you can not see the DPC, i.e. its at a level beneath the floor slab, I have seen them a brick level higher, which is OK for a garage but not to plaster over.
The 42mm roll up garage doors come with foam within each of the sections. If the door faces south do not get a green one!!, it will run at 120*F in the summer if its in unshaded sun.
Frank

I presume the picture attached means you can see the DPC and I shouldn't plaster? Is that the general rule because the plaster could get damp?

As I am not plastering my next option is to leave it brick or use masonry paint. Not sure which:)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 200
I can't see enough from your picture. There seems to be a upward folded edge of plastic, but I can't decide its from the floor slab or the wall.
Where you have dug your hole, the damp bit of wall is clearly visible, unless its dirty from the soil. The wall in general looks dry but. . . .
Frank

Sponsored Links
There is no point insulating all and sundry if you are going to leave the garage door in place. What's the point?

Ok. Basically I wanted to plaster to do the following.

Make it less dusty, and make the walls less tidy.

So where u get damp you shouldn't plaster?? Is that the way it works??

If the wall has a DPC then you can plaster above it. If the DPC is low down, then you can cloak the wet part of the wall with a plastic moulding. I think, starting at the house wall itself, find out the location of the DPC as it runs around the garage. I would have thought that it would have been all put in at the same level. The garage floor membrane should have been lapped on to it (perhaps where that turn up is?), but in the end the garage floor screed has to be at ground level, unless you want steps up to it!
Frank

Is it best to plaster or should I use plasterboard with dot and dab?

Also should I apply plaster/plasterboard before or after boiler is installed? Seems like before given I was advised not to box boiler/ in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back