Garage joists loading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Not a builder so was wondering if anyone could give me some general advice please. We have just moved into a new house with a double garage, most of the garage has been boarded. I was wondering if it is OK as it currently is and how much weight could be stored there if any. The house was build in 2005 and the joists look very small to me especially when compared to older garages I have seen. The chip board itself must weigh hundreds of kg on it's own I would guess? I always understood with newer builds the structure was only designed to take the weight of the roof and not much else? All of the front is boarded, then a gap in the middle, then all of the rear, so in total around 3/4 is boarded. The garage is approx 6 meters wide and the joists are around 3.5 inches x 1.5 inches.

If I did want to put more substantial weight up there in the future, what options are there, could I have more / bigger joists installed alongside the current ones, or bricks built up between the doors and a beam put in underneath the joists or something? I would get it done properly by a Structural Engineer and Builder was just wondering what options are available, if any.

Cheers all.

Attachments

• Garage1.jpeg
    Garage1.jpeg
    342.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Garage2.jpeg
    Garage2.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Garage3.jpeg
    Garage3.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Garage4.jpeg
    Garage4.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back