Garage lighting/ringmain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a lighting circuit and ringmain in my garage. The consumer unit is currently situated within the garage itself, i intend to put them both on their own breaker and the total run of cable for the lighting is approx 20 metres(1.0mm t&e) and ringmain about the same(2.5mm t&e). My question is do the cables have to run in trunking or can they be run down the walls uncovered

Cheers jon

Sponsored Links
If you are using plastic sockets then use trunking. If you are using metal clad sockets then conduit is best. Either way you can secure trunking horizontally then make your drops from there.
I take it you are aware this work is notifiable to the LABC.

Do the regulations state that the cable runs must be enclosed in trunking or conduit or can they just be cable clipped to the walls?

Sponsored Links
Do the regulations state that the cable runs must be enclosed in trunking or conduit or can they just be cable clipped to the walls?

The regulations state that the method of cable installation should be suitable to ensure that the cables are not damaged by any external influence which can reasonably be expected (In slightly different words than that, I'll admit, though)

Just do the cable drops from the ceiling to sockets & switches in trunking or conduit.

What's wrong with using conduit throughout? Looks neat, and the PVC stuff is easy to use, and nobody will poke fun at you if you use inspection bends/elbows rather than making your own bends...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back