garage office conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if you could advise on the following scenario?

I have a single detatched garage that i would like to divide and use 2/3 as an office area. This space will be used by myself as and escape from the wife and probably by the wife as an escape from me and the kids!

The property is 4 years old and the garage has a concrete floor and is single skinned with pillars halfway along. I plan on using a liquid damp proof for the walls and floor. I also plan to then build a stud wall all the way around and add insulation. Would i be advised to build a sleeper wall for a suspended timber floor to go on or is this overkill?

Should i instead lay the joists on the floor with nicks cut out for airflow? Will this potencially be a problem trying to get a level floor?

Thank you in advance for any advice,

Regards...

Sponsored Links
level existing floor with sand if theres a slope.lay insulation carefully onto the sand.lay a 1200 gauge DPM over the insulation.then lay a floating chipboard floor.no need to paint your floor prior this way.lap the DPM up the wall.

DPM the floor yes, but not the walls. Batten the walls and fix foil backed, moisture proof plasterboard, the gap between the plasterboard and wall will allow air to flow. keeping it dry.. make sure the plasterborad does not make contact with the concrete floor (leave a gap of @ 25mm) and cover with skirting. You need to know your final floor covering before you decde on the sub-floor. Raising floor heights will affect your walls..

level existing floor with sand if theres a slope.lay insulation carefully onto the sand.lay a 1200 gauge DPM over the insulation.then lay a floating chipboard floor.no need to paint your floor prior this way.lap the DPM up the wall.

how will air flow behind the boards if theres no vents??

Sponsored Links
The cavity will not need airflow provided the external wall is not mechanically sealed and there is adequate v.b. internally.

I think for the cost of a few airbricks £10 and 2 hours work it's one of the best anti damp measures you can take. you can never have enough ventilation when attaching batten to a single skin.

The cavity will not need airflow provided the external wall is not mechanically sealed and there is adequate v.b. internally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back