Garage Piers, cracks/movement.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me if I use the wrong terminology here;

I have a detached single garage, 13 years old, single skin brick with a row of vertical 'breeze blocks' halfway down each long side. I'm assuming there are metal ties from the single brick to the breeze blocks, to strengthen the wall.

My issue is there seems to be a crack in the mortor of the top two blocks, and with a little persuasion they can be moved.

I have checked the external wall and there are no cracks.

How to resolve?
Is it a case of removing the top two blocks and redoing the mortor?
Or do I have a major issue on my hands here?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Dazza Jones, good evening.

No external cracks is good.
Yes there are [supposed] to be metal ties between external wall and the Piers.
There is very little holding the top blocks in place, just the mortar, they are a wee bit vulnerable, the trick is what has caused the cracking? is there a cross tie or beam resting on top of the Piers?

As a "fix" either re-point or if the movement is severe remove the blocks and re-bed them in mortar.

As a first impression, nothing major at all to be concerned about.

Ken.

Thanks for the swift response Ken; I can sleep easy tonight.

I will remove the two top blocks, clean them up and rebed them in.

There is currently nothing on the top block.
Is it worth my putting some sort of angle bracket or tie from the brick to the block to give it some strength. Can't hurt can it.?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back