Garage radiator install help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just finishing up self building our garage and bedroom extension, well shall I say man cave /gym not a garage, our boiler is on what was the exterior wall before garage went up, my question is, putting the radiator on the opposite side of the wall to the boiler, can I just thought off from the 22mm away & return pipes at the boiler with 15mm from each end of the new rad, or have I got to the off further into the system then back track my pipework, cheers

Sponsored Links
Presuming it's a combi? From the 22mm pipes near boiler will be fine. Being that close, the lockshield valve on new rad will have to be barely open (enough to make the rad work properly) or it may make a nice short-circuit and cause other further rads to run cooler.

Yeah it's a combi, shall I keep the lockshield on the entry or exit end of the rad, or both, would it still be OK to use a trv on such a short circuit

Yeah it's a combi, shall I keep the lockshield on the entry or exit end of the rad, or both, would it still be OK to use a trv on such a short circuit

General rule is TRV on flow/entry side, l/shield on return. However, most TRVs are bi-directional these days, so not essential to have valves this way around. TRV will be fine on this rad.

Sponsored Links

General rule is TRV on flow/entry side, l/shield on return. However, most TRVs are bi-directional these days, so not essential to have valves this way around. TRV will be fine on this rad.

Good point. My TRVs must have been incorrectly fitted because they make a clicking noise as the radiator heats up.

Good point. My TRVs must have been incorrectly fitted because they make a clicking noise as the radiator heats up.

If your rads make a clicking/ticking noise when heating up, it more likely to be the plastic packing spacers missing from their brackets where the rads hang on them. Without the spacers, the metal rad digs into the brackets as the rad expands.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-4...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item2a33a503cc

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back