New radiator to garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My builder started converting my garage and just said that he spoke to the plumber and he has said since we have a pressurised system we shouldn't just tap the radiator at the other side of the wall as it will make the existing radiator colder which I understand.

They have given two options.

Take a feed off the tank up stairs which means lift carpets from bathroom to our bedroom and feeding it down to the garage, the garage is build onto the side of my house.

Take a feed direct from the boiler in The utility room which is just behind the garage and use thermos static value to control it.

I am not sure which is the best option as my house runs off the thermostat in my hall which ensures it stays at 20c.

Would this mean that my garage would only work if and when my halls thermostat told my boiler to turn on or would they be able to independently turn boiler on when either system needed it.

Sponsored Links
I don't quite get your predicament, from your description!

How many rads are currently in your system? If there is enough capacity left in the boiler to feed another radiator, then there should be no problem T'ing off the circuit to add another rad in the extension!
What size pipes are feeding the nearest rad? If they are 15mm then it would not be unheard of to feed two rads off one set of 15's although coming off of a 22mm secondary is obviously better!
If the issue is that you would like to control the extension rad independently to the rest of the house, then you will need to create an additional 'zone' with its own motorised valve and programmable roomstat.

If your system is pressurised, what 'tank' upstairs are you referring to? The cylinder? Maybe I'm missing something but you need to describe things a bit more clearly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back