Garage Roof Advice PLEASE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a shot corrugated cement/asbestos garage roof. I have checked with council and can take it to them for disposable. The garage roof has a pitch, not sure what the pitch is, but looks pretty standard upside down V shape garage roof! There are 2 lengths of metal perlins for each side of the roof, I have already bought some metal to install another length of perlin on each side of the roof, making three perlins for each sheet of material. I was thinking of using bitumen corrugated sheets from Wickes (http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/240039?htxt=6YwZAISW1i5OgIudElUVh4%2BI3KMD0YlK3aWM7EPIBJQVvJOxcInvY1H4JwBcSZ2MIfCIMv2VNq1z%0AWJ9bQPNXrg%3D%3D) but was worried that they are fairly flexible and may need more support. If they start to sag and end up leaking, then it will be a disaster. Am I being paranoid or should I use a cheap wood board first and then fix the bitumen corrugated sheets to this? If so what kind of wooden sheet should I use? Are the bitumen corrugated sheets the correct material or are they just cheap and nasty? I want something that will last and have a budget for material of around £500

Please can you give me some advice on how you would proceed with a project like this with this budget. I will update when I'm at home with some measurements of the length of garage and the spacing of the perlins and the length of sheet required. How can I easily measure the current pitch?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
No need to know pitch, just measure the old sheets to find out how much length you'll need. The bitumen sheets are fine, you can pick up a leaflet instore that will tell you all you need to know about installation. Easy peasy.

I was told that depending on the pitch, these sheets (being flexible) may not be suitable. I was told I may need to board the roof first. I was wanting confirmation of if I did to board first or just fix the sheets to the metal perlins? I don't want the roof to sag and leak. If I did board the roof first, what kind of wood board would be best? Do I need to board first?

Sponsored Links
Only likely to cause a problem with very shallow pitches. It certainly won't hurt to board out first though, for a stronger roof all round. Use roofdeck osb3, or wbp plywood.
If you look on the wickes site you can download a pdf explaining the support needed and purlin distances etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back