Garage roof not pitched enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just purchased a house. We looked around it in summer and had the Survey done in summer (not a full building survey).

Just moved in and, of course, it's been chucking it down. There is a huge leak in the garage roof.

I looked at it from the second floor window, it's black corrugated sheeting (assumed bitumen) with puddles of water on it. There doesn't seem to be any observable pitch at all to the roof so the water just pools. It's dripping in though the joints I assume along the whole length of the roof.

The whole thing looks brand new, not a trace of rust on the screws in the flashing. The beams, though sodden where the leak is are not soft and look new. The chipboard that is the ceiling of the garage is fine.

So yeah, very frustrating!

Is there anything I can do to waterproof it, if not is is a reasonable job for someone inexperienced to modify it so it won't leak?

I'm going to try measure the pitch tonight (don't have internet in new house yet) but I'm wondering how difficult increasing the pitch of an already installed roof is!

Opinions? (Any idea how much it would cost to get someone in to do it?)

Sponsored Links
Not sure I'd be able to get sheets long enough - It's quite a long garage (Could fit a car and bike end-to-end) but I don't have the exact measurements to hand.

Sounds to me like you have a very low end roof covering on a badly constructed roof.

Poor combination especially in a country with the rainfall we get.

You may be able to stiffen the existing roof with some makeshift purlins, but without looking we ain't gonna be able to comment.

Sponsored Links
Those corrugated bitumen sheets need a lot of support or they sag and leak.

I'll try take some photos before work tomorrow. Daylight is in short supply...

Sagging that's causing the pooling water:
tjUzgvV.jpg

My attempt at getting a pic of the pitch - it is probably about 3 degrees but I didn't have a tape measure...
7o5O52u.jpg

The roof from the inside, chipboard and beams:
YyxYxIV.jpg
[/img]

You can get box profile steel sheets up to 7m in length, and just change what you have for self supporting ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back