Garage Roof opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Ive just finished the walls of my garage and need to think about the roof.

My ultimate question is: what is cheapest??
But I have the following considerations.

A) I prefer a pitched roof with nice coloured tiles
B) I dont want any issues with draughts or condensation
C) I want to do the roof Once and last a long time

Im very capable of building my own roof - Pitched or flat. Using traditional felt, battens and tiles, or using modern z purlins with steel corrugated sheets, or even a pitched wood structure with insulated box profile sheets.

If I go for a flat roof the area I need to cover is 54sqm, or if I go with a relatively shallow pitch of 1metre, then I need to cover approx 61sqm....

What does everybody recommend? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Will planning allow a picthed roof, if so a tiled roof every time.
I have just done a flat roof using GRP, looks great and should last in excess of 15 years, so longer than felt would.

Off the top of my head I think im aloud a total height of 2.4m height without planning.
I'd like a pitched roof, but my idea of a 1 metre high pitch will take me over by 0.5m. Although I live in a relatively quiet area with excellent nieghbours so im sure it would go un-noticed.

I too would consider a grp roof, but has it got to be cladded with ply first? if so that in itself is costly, plus im struggling to find joists 6m long to bridge the gap (6meters x 9meters is my garage size), hence the reason for a pitched roof using 2x3.6m joists to make the A-frame.

Sponsored Links
I too would consider a grp roof, but has it got to be cladded with ply first? if so that in itself is costly, plus im struggling to find joists 6m long to bridge the gap (6meters x 9meters is my garage size), hence the reason for a pitched roof using 2x3.6m joists to make the A-frame.

It doesn't sound to me like you know how to build a pitched roof or have planned for a roof at all.

At some point you are either going to need steel or some pretty hefty joists. Even a pitched rafter roof requires joists to tie it together or a steel ridge beam.

Have you thought about roof trusses?

I too prefer a pitched roof, and maybe because of the size of the garage, and area I need to cover maybe its the best way to go.

Yes your spot on!! I havent planned my roof at all, hence the reason for posting on the forum in the first place, as for my abilities to build the roof then you couldn't possibly know if im able or not, by posting a simple question?

A-frames are probably the best way to go, but im unsure about the cost of these.

As for planning, you can click the link below for the local planning guidelines and I seem to be well within the guidelines without needing permission.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings[/url]

What are Building Regulations happy with for the type of build you have done.
I am doing a pitched on mine, so it will be 4m high right on my boundary - but I have got planning permission and BR approval.

You may not need planning, but you certainly need BR sign off.
My BR man has just insisted on 1m deep foundations for a singles skin garage - at least I know I could put a block of flats there in the future :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back