Calculate timber for Garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am doing my garage and wanted to but timber for the roof. The garage size is 5.5m by 5.5

The plan is to do pitched roof with felt. The pitched roof wont be too steep, its a shallow slope just so it dont look to flat.

can you advice what wood i would need and sizes? the Joyce and plywood and what the required thickness recommended?

I am supplying all materials to builder and before i ask him i wanted to have rough idea what i would need so im in same wave length

thanks

Sponsored Links
The first question is:- do you want a vaulted roof (clear of obstructions) or a trussed roof, cheaper but needs cross pieces running across from the bottom of opposing joists. This can be compromised into "collared" joists where the horizontal beam is not right at the bottom of the joists, but is higher, so giving increased head room for most of the width.
My commercial shed, the weight of the roof caused it to sag, by pushing the walls out in their centre. I had to retro fit ties between the end of some of the joists to stop further movement.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back