garage roof replacement

ih

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
My single garage 5mx3m has asbestos roof sheets and am thinking of replacing it with flat roof i will appreciate any help/advise and also help with the following.
1. what size ply will i need and how many (advise thickness also)2. What size joists and how many and also thickness.
3.What quality felt, size and quantity
thanking in advance

Sponsored Links
16=6x2 evenly spaced joists, 10=osb3 boards 3=rolls torch on underlay, same for top sheet, 4 lengths tilt fillet. A bag of baton nails and maybe some wall straps for the joists, that should get you started.

• Thanks
Reactions: ih
bit ott with the boards. 5 will do a garage roof normally. 1x 20m 3b sand finish for a nailed base layer £40 2x 16m torch on underlay (although if you can scrounge a metre or 2 you can get away with 1 roll as a normal garage roof quite annoyingly requires a little over 1 roll to cover) and then 3 rolls of capsheet mineral.

is there any reason you want a flat roof?

in recent years i have been replacing asbestos garage roofs with box profile steel sheet, either insulated or just fleece backed.

a lot cheaper and easier. loads of different colours too.
can screw straight onto old asbestos sheet joists

• Thanks
Devonlad you are not still in the dark ages are you, with them big 8x4 sheets :rolleyes: OSB3 are t&g 8x2. The box profile sheets is the way I would go if it was my garage roof.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
done my triple garage store with box profile 2 years ago with a few opaque sheets. best move ever.

cant be arsed with the extra expense of t&g unless spec'd and even then will use 8x4 t&g

• Thanks
Well it must be me in the dark ages then, as I did not know t&g was available in 8x4 sheets.

• Thanks
not seen it widely available but norboard do it and a few others. wickes even sell it if you dont mind paying £25 a sheet

• Thanks
8x4 sheets are a waste of time for me as I can't carry them up the ladder safely, so I just buy the 8x2 sheets now, and for people doing there own roofs thats what I would recommend.

• Thanks
Hi Guys thanks for the valuable information kindly correct me with the following.
1.1x20m cost £40
2.2x16m underlay cost£35= £70
3. 3 rolls capsheet kindly advise if this will be 1mX8m and the cost £30=£90
if possible advise what quality capsheet
thanking you in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back