Garage security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have bought a Parkhurst 150W PIR security sensor that I am going to install onto my garage wall about 11 feet up in the gable.

When I moved here last year I turned off the garage fuse box and took out a lighting and power cable from the Joint Box BS816 that went into an old shed that I have taken down.

Can I run a length of 3-core flex (type H05RN-F 3G 1.0mm) from the security light into the Joint box BS816.

I have uploaded 2 pictures of the joint box to an album which shows the red live wires and black neutral wires. Not sure if you can see the album?

Sponsored Links
My aerial needs moving can I clime on the roof and do it?

Well the answer is no. One I'm old and not really safe on any roof and two it's covered in snow.

But you would not know that and it's the same when you as us can I connect a lamp. How do we know your ability?

Lovely picture of a junction box. I have one on test board the same wires don't go anywhere mind you.

So you need a supply and it will need to be protected with a fuse or MCB and it will also need a means of isolation either lockable or in sight of the light so when changing a bulb no one can switch it on.
Likely a switched fuse connection unit will do job as there is a fuse to protect and by removing fuse a lock can be put through fuse holder to stop it being switched on.

That is of course if Parts P, L and F of building control are complied with.

So can you re-plan and say what sort of supply i.e. where from with what fuse MCB etc. And of course what are your skills?

I also need some working doing on my bungalow roof but I will wait for the better weather and I always use a roof hook ladder.

The power supply from the bungalow goes into the Garage fuse box with 2 fuses, one for the light and one for the socket.

My experience since moving here, I have fitted UPVC doors and windows, laid 2 carpets, tiled the bathroom, laid 2 patios, erected a shed and lots more but if you mean with regards to electrical work I have only replaced the 4 lounge lights, 1 kitchen and 1 bathrom light, fitted 2 Telephone extensions, replaced my electric fire cable.

I am into Astronomy and most nights I am out in the back garden looking through the telescope at the sky and the darker the better so I have decided to fit a plug and 3 amp fuse to the 1mm 3 core flex and plug this into the existing socket which has a circuit breaker plugged into it.

That way I can turn the light off at the socket when outside using the telescope.

Sponsored Links
Thank-you for the help regarding fitting the PIR security light. I am pleased with the end result.
I used black 3 core cable and drilled the hole through the brickwork at an angle.

I have another question that I hope is alright to add to this thread instead of starting a new one as you can see my experience in this thread.

About 1 year ago I bought an 8.5KW Electric shower from Argos and telephoned an Electrician to come round and quote me for taking out the old broken 7.5KW shower and installing the new one, he did this and took out my old 30Amp circuit breaker from the Consumer Unit and put in a 40Amp one.

The 40Amp circuit breaker is a diffent shape to all the others in the consumer unit and this stops the clear plastic lid closing properly which annoys me.

About 5 days after the shower was installed something inside the shower went pop so that the water did not come out under pressure, the water still heated up but was unusable so I turned the power off at the consumer unit and uninstalled the shower, got a refund from Argos and had a Plumber install a Thermostatic shower.

So now the 40Amp circuit breaker is no longer in use I would like to put the original 30Amp one back in so that the clear plastic lid will close properly.

If I turn the power to OFF at the consumer unit can I unscrew the 2 screws to take the cover off the consumer unit and then swap the circuit breakers over? View media item 8330 View media item 8329

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back