Garage shelving / racking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I currently have some metal freestanding shelving unit which are about 3m tall, but due to the celing height being reduced for roof support i need to remove these (also only 12" deep and doesn't hold my boxes)

I am planning on making some out of 38x63mm studwork timber I saw in wickes. Would this be suitable?

Sponsored Links
timber and ply makes nice shelves, though if the garage floor is damp the feet will rot.

But compare cost and effort to Spur shelving, or plastic self-assembly units from the DIY sheds or Aldi.

Sponsored Links
Can't you cut down/modify the existing?

I was planning on this first but I would need to double them up to get the right depth, and then I would not have enough for what I need, plus I have no spare shelves.

Thought it would be better to remove them, and rack out the entire 6m wall with 2ft deep shelves. It means I can put bulky items such as suitcases on them as well (empty of course)

Looks good, so back to your original question, yes you can. 2x1 for the horizontals sections, and 12mm ply for the shelving. or 18mm for heavy stuff.

Job was put on hold due to bad weather and me not feeling good

I've managed to get 25mm chipboard, 1200x600mm free from work, so will be using this. Bit overkill but its free and saving me a fair bit

I used B&Q Flexi Shelving for a similar project and it's brilliant - though the cost can add up. Main advantages are:
  • Ease of installation (just screw the uprights into the wall with sturdy screws/plugs)
    Strength
    Flexibility - actually means you can store much more stuff because you can fine tune the shelf heights
    Looks really cool and it's easy to find things - esp if you use matching plastic storage boxes with big labels on
    No uprights at the front to get in the way
You could rip your 25mm chipboard into two 300mm strips for the shelves (which would need to be screwed on from underneath to be fully secure).

HTH

I used B&Q Flexi Shelving for a similar project and it's brilliant - though the cost can add up. Main advantages are:
  • Ease of installation (just screw the uprights into the wall with sturdy screws/plugs)
    Strength
    Flexibility - actually means you can store much more stuff because you can fine tune the shelf heights
    Looks really cool and it's easy to find things - esp if you use matching plastic storage boxes with big labels on
    No uprights at the front to get in the way
You could rip your 25mm chipboard into two 300mm strips for the shelves (which would need to be screwed on from underneath to be fully secure).

HTH

Why screwed from underneath?

Shelf is 600mm deep, so no need to cut them

Screwed from underneath into the brackets, to stop them moving around (and falling off, in extreme cases). You would need to add some rigidity because the brackets will want to sway from side to side.

600mm is a very deep shelf - if it really needs to be that deep then FlexiShelving is probably not the best solution - you're essentially building a small store room! On a practical note it might prove difficult to know what lies at the back of the shelves (especially the higher ones) and to access stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back