Garage wall moving ... possibly due to a third party

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly father bought an extra garage many years ago, which is not near to his house.

The side wall seems to be moving, which I assume is due to subsidence. This would of course eventually lead to the roof joists pulling out and the roof collapsing.

Obviously this needs to be sorted sooner rather than later. I contacted a builder, who called today to have a look. As the garage is not next to the house, I don’t think there is any insurance.

He said the cause of the movement is due to a drainage ditch nearby. See attached sketch.

Right next to the garage wall, is private open land with no houses. The owner of this land has, probably many years ago had a drainage channel formed, approximately 1m away from the wall (to the centre of ditch from external face of wall) with a level of about 1m below the bottom of the wall.

It is hard to see, due to vegetation how far the foundation top is, below the bottom of the wall, but my guess is 200-300mm at the most. There is grass and general vegetation on both sides of the ditch, including the slope next to it, as well as at least one large tree, with branches above the garage roof.

My questions are :

Is this drainage ditch the likely cause of the movement ?

Is it worth trying to contact the owner, taking into effect a lack of insurance and therefore any costs would have to be met by my father directly ?

Thank you for any advice provided.

wallif.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I would put it down to inadequate foundations to the garage.

Where any ground is falling away from the edge or close to the edge of an intended structure then it is wise to extend any foundations down to a suitable depth, at this particular location.

Where any ground is falling away from the edge or close to the edge of an intended structure then it is wise to extend any foundations down to a suitable depth, at this particular location.

The garage was built before the ditch was dug .. has that any bearing on the situation?

or I have just got smile and get on with it

thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back