Internal Cracks - Possible Subsidence - Help!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, here's the situation:

I live in a Victorian terraced house. It's mid terraced, but there is a passageway down one side, so in fact it's more end terraced, with only the top front room and front half of the roof joined to the next property. This may be relevant.

It is in an area very close to a river and is on clay soil.

When we moved in just under 3 years ago the survey stated that there was evidence of historic movement in the property, but there was no evidence of this still being active. It is clear both externally and internally that lots of the properties in the terrace have suffered the same past.

However, I have begun noticing some new cracks in the plasterwork in the house. Although not very wide, maybe only 1mm or so, they all run in a fairly common path. The most pronounced one is on the middle floor, which runs diagonally from the front corner of the ceiling and has made it about half way across the ceiling. This has affected the cornice also. All the other cracks are on vertical walls, generally above doorways. These cracks seem to be at the front corner of the house, with no visible cracks at the back of the house, or on the fully terraced side.

The other thing to note is that previous owners put French doors between 2 rooms, and by doing so had to remove a load bearing wall, and, as a neighbour has told us, had a lintel/i-beam type thing put in. There is now a crack above this doorway on either side of the wall above it and the door is now sticking. No other doors or windows are sticking.

There is no visisble cracking on the outside of the building. A couple of the lintels have moved slightly, however I understand this was part of the historical movement and isn't something new.

The only work we have done to the house since buying it was rectifying a damp issue we had running down the wall which made up part of the passageway. It had been suggested by a damp inspector person that the damp was being caused because the passageway had been laid too high up the wall and there was no drainage, so any DPC that existed could have been bridged. He suggested digging a small ditch along the base of the wall and filling with rubble, to allow the wall to dry out. We did this and the damp seems to have improved somewhat. Could it be this that has caused the ground to move? The ditch is neither deep nor wide, maybe 3 bricks deep and 1 1/2 wide.

I have booked a structural surveyor to come round and check it out, but that won't be until probably the middle to end of next week, and right now, I'm cacking myself!

I'm aware that my insurance policy will pay for repair to damage caused by subsidence due to landslip, heave etc, but will not pay if it has been caused by defective workmanship or if it has been caused by work done to remedy something else. Hopefully I didn't cause it!

So, my question is, does this sound like subsidence, or could it be related to the French doors, or me digging the trench? If this turned out to be a problem with a leaking drain or water main etc, would I require underpinning after this was fixed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading, I know it's a long one!!

Sponsored Links
Your trench is not causing any problem, so you needn't worry about that. Insurance companys normally consider 1mm cracks as normal and probably won't get involved unless they open to 3 to 5mm.

Thanks for the reply.

So this may well be a wait and monitor situation rather than a fix it straight away? Doesn't the fact that the cracks have appeared suggest there has been some sort of new movement?

1mm cracks may be nothing more than a bit of expansion or drying shrinkage. Don't know about Stirlingshire but it was unusually dry in April, May, June in my neck of the woods and also hot at times, so either is a possibility.

The fact that surrounding buildings have suffered excesive cracking is obviously significant so my advice would be to monitor for now and see what happens. But I wouldn't hold my breath on the insurance company unless things get worse. My experience is that they will say call us again if it gets to 3, 4, 5mm.

Of course your engineer will have a better view and should be able to advise if anything unusual is going on. Also of course you should check the conditions of your insurance to see if there is an obligation to report any problems. You wouldn't want to get to 5mm and then be told you should have reported it earlier.

Sponsored Links
By expansion/dry shrinkage do you mean the underlying soil, causing the movement, or do you mean the plaster?

Once the engineer has been round and depending on what he says, I may then call the insurance company to ask them if this is something they need to be aware of in case it worsens.

Thanks again for all the replies. Fairly positive, in the sense that they cracks aren't particularly wide yet, however, my assumption is that all cracks have to start small!

Wooo!! Had the survey done. Nothing to worry about.

All cracks are new cracks in relatively new plaster, which is on top of old movement cracks, which apparently become weak spots, hence the cracks showing up again.

Examined all areas of the outside of the house and there is no evidence of any problems. External building is in great condition.

French doors sticking - it was felt this was down to moisture content and swelling of the wood as the doors are in the kitchen and it's always fairly steamy in there.

So I'm a happy bunny!

Thanks for all the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back