Garage window replacement: what type of wood to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage window is rotting away. I thought I would have a go at constructing a new one out of bits of wood.
What type of wood to use, though?
Soft wood -- requires repainting, not great for external use
Treated timber -- resists rot, but eventually cracks and warps
Hard wood -- too expensive

Is there a type of treated timber that is suitable for this? I would probably put an initial coat of paint on it. But cosmetic looks aren't important.

Sponsored Links
No reason why treated timber should warp or crack?
Free hardwood from a pallet would make a cheap window .

Have a look for a mismeasure on eBay or Gumtree. Measure brick to brick you can pick them up for peanuts.

I made one yesterday,fitted and glazed today.
Frame from treated fence rails and 3x2 removed studs with tile battens to form rebates for glazing .Took an old DG unit apart and cut glass to size .Only small, 37"x34" two fixed panes but its done the job :)

IMG_20200519_080815649.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Frame from treated fence rails and 3x2 removed studs with tile battens to form rebates for glazing .
Nice work, LiL. I'd like a bit more detail on what you used.
So the sides are pressure treated fence timber -- what size?
The three cross-bars are 2 inch studwork timber -- soft wood?
Then pressure treated tile battens are used to form a rebate. What size are these?
And how is the glass fastened in? I have used putty in the past.

All 4 outers are from 1 rail 85x35 , but I've done other frames with whatever timber I can find.
Mid piece is 3"x2" stud timber .
Batten 35x18, with some run down one to form glazing bead
windows in more exposed places ive used 6x2 for sill and heads to get drip channels or dowelled an extension nose on
IMG_20200519_112144160.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back