Garage

O

offtnet

Hi, Im planning on having a go at building my own garage. I already have the foundations there from a previous one, it will be detatched, flat roof sloping from front to back, no windows just a standard sized door it will be dashed in the end up. Can anyone advise me on what blocks i need? is it relatively easy for the diyer? where do i start? Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
offtnet said:
Hi, Im planning on having a go at building my own garage. I already have the foundations there from a previous one, it will be detatched, flat roof sloping from front to back, no windows just a standard sized door it will be dashed in the end up.
Check with BCO for building regs measurement size, normally don't need planning providing it's not oversize.
Can anyone advise me on what blocks i need? is it relatively easy for the diyer? where do i start? Thanks in advance :rolleyes:
I don't know what you're capable of doing, have you looks at the pre-cast garages kit which will be a lot cheaper and quite easy to do.

is it relatively easy for the diyer?

So many more aspects need to be considered including...

Are the existing foundations up to spec?
Is it a cavity wall or single skin being built?
Cavity wall- Thermalite blocks internal and dense cellular external?
Single skin - dense cellular or solid dense?
Piers required?
Insulation required?
Width and projection of garage?
Roof span to determine timber size and centres?

And of course the main question that nobody can answer apart from yourself is how competant or skilled you are. How much do you want to do yourself and will you be getting anybody in to do particular parts of the build?

Also don't forget that you may need planning and/or BC approval depending on actual circumstances.

Sponsored Links
Reply posted at same time :)

but hopefully you get the angle me and masona are coming from...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back