Garden Brick Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently bought a house that has a large brick shed in the garden that I want to use, mostly for storing tools but hopefully as a bit of a project space.

My conundrum is the shed wall that acts as the boundary to my neighbours property was built using odds and ends of reclaimed bricks and unlike the other walls, it was never rendered - You can even see spots of light shine through the bricks. Unfortunately weather proofing/rendering from the outside isn't an option as the neighbours have their own shed against it and I can't get there. There has been small signs of damp on the wall but that might just be from where a cupboard was butted up against the wall.

I was thinking of treating all the walls inside with a damp proofer (e.g Cementone Aquaprufe), attaching battens, kingspan in between,covering in a Vapour Barrier and then covering in sheets of Ply (so I can hang tools straight off it). I was also thinking of insulating between roof joists and boarding.

My questions are:

1) Do I need to worry that the wall isn't sealed from the outside?
2) Do I need to leave any air gaps between wall and insulation or can I put it all in tight to maximise space?
3) Do I even need the vapour barrier and should I be concerned about puncturing it when screwing through the ply?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you need to re-point the wall where holes are with cement. pack the cement in the holes using the handle end of your trowel until it start to come out the other side. that will keep the elements out initally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back