Garden Cabin Insulation Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thought I'd sign up and hop in on this helpful looking forum.
I've got a 5 year old garden cabin from Homebase. It's a pine, tongue and groove construction roughly an inch and a half thick. It's great in the Summer, quite damp and cold in the Winter. I use it as a workshop and general retreat at the bottom of the garden.

I want to retrofit the interior with insulation. A little digging around has led me to conclude that I'll be fitting an internal studwork wall using 2 by 2 baton, probably Polystyrene for insulation rather than Celotex and covering it with Gypsum plasterboard.

What I'm not sure about is membrane and air gaps. Do I staple a membrane to the existing (painted) wall first? Will I need to allow for an air gap between the Polystyrene and the existing wall? I'm just not sure.

I'd like to avoid doing anything that encourages rot/mould between the exiting building and the forthcoming insulated structure and It's important to try to keep the new walls to a reasonably minimum thickness so as to not lose too much internal space within the cabin.

Any helpful pointers would be really appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back