Garden extension cable query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was looking to replace my old garden extension cable , about 17m in length, its used for lawnmower n hedge trimmer, its 3 core with a similar cable costing £25.

Found a longer orange coloured on a trip to a boot market which needed a plug to be replaced only, did this and to my surprise its only 2 core with no earthing inside.

Is this always the case with external orange coloured extension cables?

Sponsored Links
2 core is only suitable for use where the socket on the end has 2 holes, and the matching plug has 2 pins on the hedge trimmer, lawn mower or similar.
Usually this style:
shopping

For anything else such as a general purpose extension lead, 3 core must be be used. 3 core orange is available.

As Bernard says an extension lead with a regular socket on the end should always be 3 core. If you find a legitimate vendor selling an extension lead with a missing earth then I would say a report to trading standards is in order.

But there is nothing stopping people from building their own extension leads with missing earths using the cable recovered off a piece of garden equipment. Some may do this because they are ignorant of the reason for earthing. Some may do it on the reasoning that they only intend to use the lead with appliances that don't require an earth.

The trouble with the latter reasoning is that people are forgetful and people other than the person who made an extension lead may end up using it. If such an extension lead is found I would recommend dismantling it.

Sponsored Links
The orange extension cable was a ligit one, no cuts, its branded duraplug as well, its orange so its made for external use.

I think the clue is in the type of plug you replaced.

What was on the other end of the lead? was it a 13A socket? was it moulded or rewirable?

In my experiance moulded extension sockets are rare in the UK, so there is no way to visually tell the difference between a lead that was sold readymade and one that was assembled from components by the end user.

What was on the other end of the lead? was it a 13A socket? was it moulded or rewirable?

In my experiance moulded extension sockets are rare in the UK, so there is no way to visually tell the difference between a lead that was sold readymade and one that was assembled from components by the end user.

one end is a moulded socket, the other end had a non moulded 13a plug.

Yes the cable is like that, mine is orange.
That was one I'd PAT tested and condemmed, it had originated with a gargen tool with a different socket as the story goes. They asked me to dispose so it got dumped in the car and I've been using it since for a lawnmower.:oops: But in the pics I see its getting quite shabby sp it does need to visit the metal shop in the sky.

That was one I'd PAT tested and condemmed, it had originated with a gargen tool with a different socket as the story goes. They asked me to dispose so it got dumped in the car and I've been using it since for a lawnmower.:oops: But in the pics I see its getting quite shabby sp it does need to visit the metal shop in the sky.

Can you name the boot market?

Attachments

• IMG_1754.JPG
    IMG_1754.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1755.JPG
    IMG_1755.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1756.JPG
    IMG_1756.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 96

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back