Outdoor extension socket wired to fused plugs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to operate two 13A appliances in the garden, semi-permanently.

I could just run two extension cables from my garage (15m length), plug them in to the 30A ring mains, and (I believe!) that would be perfectly acceptable. The ends of the extension cables will be in a weather-sealed housing, and the garage circuit is protected by a 30mA RCD. (It would need two cables of course, because whilst a single extension cable might have two sockets on the end, it would only be rated at 13A total current - I need 26A.)

I'm thinking of 'improving' this arrangement as follows:

1. Run the two extension cables (orange flex) from a double socket in the garage as above, but at the appliance end, wire them up together in a twin, weather-sealed socket.
2. Sheath the cables in plastic conduit where they run from the garage to the outdoor socket (above ground).

Is this perfectly reasonable, or am I now creating a 'radial spur' which really should be installed professionally, connected to the ring via fused spur junction rather than socket+plug, the cables buried 2ft underground etc. etc.? In other words, do my attempts to make the setup a semi-permanent 'improvement' on a couple of extension cables actual 'raise the bar' on how it should be installed?

I *think* that, because at the end of the day I'm still just plugging in to a (twin) 13A consumer socket with fused plugs, it's perfectly ok, is that right?

A second question.. would it be permissible to only use (suitably rated) 2 core cables, and use a 1.2m copper rod in the ground to provide earth at the extension socket?

Sponsored Links
what are you planning on running - if using 26A , something like 3Kw per lead ? 6.2Kw

I think double sockets - if thats what you are using, are rated for something like 20A not 26A continuous load, again not 100% , but i think the BS standard is tested for 14A from 1 socket and 6A from the other , and maybe marked 20A - some MK i believe are rated higher

what are you planning on running - if using 26A , something like 3Kw per lead ? 6.2Kw

I think double sockets - if thats what you are using, are rated for something like 20A not 26A continuous load, again not 100% , but i think the BS standard is tested for 14A from 1 socket and 6A from the other , and maybe marked 20A - some MK i believe are rated higher
Realistically the total load will never exceed 20A, so 5kW. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I want to operate two 13A appliances in the garden, semi-permanently.

I could just run two extension cables from my garage (15m length), plug them in to the 30A ring mains, and (I believe!) that would be perfectly acceptable.
How exactly do you plan to run these cables?

Flex is not suitable for burial, flex may be ok if clipped to a wall or a sturdy fence.

Flex just laying on the ground is ok if it's removed and re-laid after each use, but it's not good if it's left in place. It's likely to get burried in foliage, or become damaged due to people repeatedly stepping on it in the same place.
1. Run the two extension cables (orange flex) from a double socket in the garage as above, but at the appliance end, wire them up together in a twin, weather-sealed socket.
A normal UK double socket does not let you wire up the two sockets separately.

You absoloutely MUST NOT wire the two leads together. Doing so would create an immediate shock hazard if one of the plugs was unplugged.

Last edited:
A 5KW load requires it's own circuit.

A lash up of extension leads and other items is totally inappropriate.
Everything you have proposed is wrong.

Ouch, what an idiot I am. I had a feeling this wasn't a good idea, but couldn't quite put my finger on it (well, I'd have sure felt it if I had!!!!!).

Thank you.. I'm off to find a qualified sparky to do it right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back