Wiring extension into plug socket

What size is the cable in the extension lead ? What is it's maximum safe load current ? As it was designed to be used with a plug fitted with a fuse 13 amp or less it may be that 13 amps is the maximum. If it is a cheap import it might be a lot less than 13 amps. ... It is ( as mentioned before ) possible that the load could be as much as 4 x 13 amps. Even a good quality extension lead cable will heat up with that load.
Indeed - but we are all agreed that what the OP has done is unacceptable - there must be a 13A fuse somewhere between the feeding circuit and the 4 x 13A 'outlets'.
Fit an FCU with a 13 amp fuse next to the socket and feed the extension from that. Use a dual box that will take the socket and the FCU on the one back box.
As eric has pointed out, it might have to be an RCD FCU, since the extension is effectively become a number of hard-wired sockets.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can understand that if the extension is screwed to the wall But the majority you see would be trailing across the floor with no protection whatsoever. Just surprised it would be acceptable that's all.
It would obviously be better/safer if the cable was somewhere where it was not at risk of mechanical damage (and maybe the OP does intend to attach the extension to a wall). However, the cable itself obviously cannot create 'an overload', the only risk being that, due to damage, it would develop a 'fault' (i.e. an L-N or L-E 'short') - and, as I said the 30A/32A fuse/MCB in the CU would almost certainly provide adequate protection against such a fault. That's why it is 'allowed'.
Kind Regards, John

I would hope this post is removed as it is very confusing and as has already been pointed out can be misinterpreted. It is clearly NOT ALLOWED to connect a unfused multiway extension cable to a 30/32A mcb/fuse.

Kind regards,

DS

It would obviously be better/safer if the cable was somewhere where it was not at risk of mechanical damage (and maybe the OP does intend to attach the extension to a wall). However, the cable itself obviously cannot create 'an overload', the only risk being that, due to damage, it would develop a 'fault' (i.e. an L-N or L-E 'short') - and, as I said the 30A/32A fuse/MCB in the CU would almost certainly provide adequate protection against such a fault. That's why it is 'allowed'.
It would be an unfused spur with 4 sockets on it, using (at best) 1.25mm² cable.

It's not allowed.

Sponsored Links
I would hope this post is removed as it is very confusing and as has already been pointed out can be misinterpreted. It is clearly NOT ALLOWED to connect a unfused multiway extension cable to a 30/32A mcb/fuse.
You are taking my comment out of context - maybe I should have quoted the whole topic, to make it easier for those who read only one post! If you read the thread you will see that I was talking about the situation in which the extension outlets were protected by a 13A fuse (in the extension unit, downstream of the cable), and was responding to Alan's concern that this would leave the cable between socket and fuse protected only by the fuse/MCB in the CU (maybe 30/32A but, as eric has pointed out, possibly only a 16A one, given that it's a garage).

Kind Regards, John

It would be an unfused spur with 4 sockets on it, using (at best) 1.25mm² cable. ... It's not allowed.
In the absence of a 13A fuse, it obviously would not be allowed, and would not be safe (see post #2 from me in this thread).

As I've just written to DS, if you read the thread you will see that I was talking about the situation in which the extension unit had a 13A fuse, and was responding to Alan's concern that this would mean that the connecting cable was only protected by whatever OPD was in the CU.

Kind Regards, John

Well after reading these replies i've removed the hard wiring to the socket and refitted the plug which now sit in the plug hole as intended.

The extension is attached to the wall out of the way and i'm trying to get in touch with an electrician to come and fit some extra sockets properly

Lesson learned - do not touch wiring when i don't know what i'm doing :oops:

Any sparkies in/ near Huddersfield on here?

I'm sure we each think our suggestion is the best, so let's not go there. ... But 3 suggestions for the OP, all safer than his current idea.
Indeed - and, as has been discussed, there are also other possibilities. However, it's worse than "his current idea" - it appears to be what the OP has already done.

Kind Regards, John

Well after reading these replies i've removed the hard wiring to the socket and refitted the plug which now sit in the plug hole as intended.
Very sensible.
The extension is attached to the wall out of the way and i'm trying to get in touch with an electrician to come and fit some extra sockets properly
Even more sensible - as BAS said, that's clearly the proper approach.
Lesson learned - do not touch wiring when i don't know what i'm doing :oops:
Yet again, very sensible!

Kind Regards, John

You are taking my comment out of context - maybe I should have quoted the whole topic, to make it easier for those who read only one post! If you read the thread you will see that I was talking about the situation in which the extension outlets were protected by a 13A fuse (in the extension unit, downstream of the cable), and was responding to Alan's concern that this would leave the cable between socket and fuse protected only by the fuse/MCB in the CU (maybe 30/32A but, as eric has pointed out, possibly only a 16A one, given that it's a garage).
It's interesting, and maybe illuminating, that DS has not responded to this, and indicated whether he still thinks that my earlier post 'should be removed'. To clarify the context, my message to AlanE (endorsed by TTC) which seemingly upset DS was part of the dialogue which (as anyone who has read the thread would know) started with:
John are you suggesting an extension unit with a fuse built into it?
Yep, although I think we're all agreed that using an 'extension unit' of any sort is not an ideal (or 'nice') way of doing things.
In which case what protects the flex between wall socket and plug unit - a 30odd Amp consumer unit fuse/mcb?
Primarily the downstream 13A fuse (through which any overload current would have to pass)....

Kind Regards, John

Why didn't you just do it properly and add more sockets to the circuit?

Can you get sockets with surge protection built-in?

For my AV unit, I could have easily added 3 double sockets, but instead chose a single socket with a 6 gang extension lead, really only for the surge protection they offer.

For my AV unit, I could have easily added 3 double sockets, but instead chose a single socket with a 6 gang extension lead, really only for the surge protection they offer.
You mean products which offer more profit for those who manage to persuade people that 'surge protection' is worthwhile?

In any event, in context of this thread, even if 'surge protection' did something useful (which it almost certainly doesn't), I very much doubt that the OP would need it in his garage!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back